Tuesday, July 26, 2011

B is for Books that I'd recommend...

Because I love books so much, I will not attempt to make this a top ten list of my favorite books.  I will just say, they are, in no particular order, I would highly recommend. 

01.  The Holy Bible:  even if you don't follow any Christian faith, the book is still a tremendous book of exceptional quality.  I believe everyone should read it at least once in their lives.

02.  "The Flesh, The Blood, and The Fire" by S. A. Swiniarski‎: This is my favorite all around book.  It's a fictional retelling of the unsolved Torso Murders in Ohio in the 1930s, where the facts of the events were barely changed, but the explanation is a little unusual.

03.  "The Cater Street Hangman" by Anne Perry:  This is the first of the Thomas Pitt novels.  They take place in Victorian Era England where policeman Thomas Pitt is trying to stop a murderer, with the help of an unexpected young woman.  Perry also wrote another series, also set in Victorian London, with a man named William Monk, also a policeman.  The change is that Monk has suffered a trauma that has taken his memory, and he must try to recover his memories without letting his superiors know that he has lost them.

04.   "Traveling with the Dead" by Barbara Hambly:  The sequel to "Those Who Hunt the Night", this is a tale of spies an political intrigue with the humans and vampires, set in 1908.  



05.  "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe" by ... well...  I don't think I need to say much.  He's simply an extraordinary writer, so remarkable that I sometimes wonder if alcoholism and syphilis might make me a better writer.

06.  "Midshipman's Hope" by David Feintuch:  This is my favorite sci-fi novel/ series.  A space ship carrying colonists and supplies long term to a new settlement, through a series of unfortunate events, leave a young Midshipman as the highest ranking member of the crew, with a ship load of colonists who still need to make it to their destination.

07.  "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaar:  It's a Pulitzer Prize winning novel very closely based on the Battle of Gettysburg, the deciding battle in the Civil War.  It made me cry twice, and, as I have said before, that's before I was a crybaby.

08.  "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman:  It's such a wonderful novel of dark fantasy, of great story telling, great creativeness, and great suspense.  If you have never read a Neil Gaiman novel, I'd recommend you start here, and keep going ...


09.  "The Complete Works of H. P. Lovecraft" by -- you know....  He and Poe were the two writers who revolutionized horror fiction.  Lovecraft taught the strong message that you don't have to show the monster to make it terrifying.  Often, there were no true monsters, just the suggestion of such; and it was even more frightening. 


10.  "Dhampir" by Barb & J. C. Hendee:  It is the story of a woman, an Elven man, and their wolf companion who travel a sword and sorcery type fantasy landscape bilking villages out of the money and goods to save them from fake vampires.  Unfortunately, their reputation becomes to strong, and the true vampires begin to become paranoid and plot to destroy them.  I won't say more, because it is such a great tale/ series, that I don't want to ruin any surprises

No comments:

Post a Comment