Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Q is for Questions posted to a friend. I like her answers better.

 


Long ago, in a blogiverse far away, a good friend of mine had a great idea for a blog -- to offer a set of questions as an interview to a friend.  I have comandeered the idea for use in my own blog, and I couldn't think of anyone better to choose for my interviewee than the great lady who came up with the idea!  I hope that you enjoy the answers of Kelly Burke.  I know, I enjoyed them tremendously (and I'm very impressed!). 

Thank you so much Kelly!

01.  You are at a playground with your children when you noticed two children bullying a younger child that is not your own. Do you ignore it or try to do something?

 A:  I do not tolerate bullying! I would definitely say something to one or both of the children, and also try to locate the parents.

02.  You are at lunch with a valued client. During the meal, he makes several offensive racial remarks. Do you protect the relationship or express yourself about the comments?

A:  Funny that this came up now, because something similar happened recently.  I would say something to him, because that’s just my nature, and if it cost me his business then I wouldn’t want him as a client anyway.  It’s all about principle with me, and God will open another door for me.

03.  You run an orphanage, and you desperately need a van for the facility. A local used car dealership offers to donate a van, but they want you to sign a charitable receipt for twice the value of the van. What do you do?

A:  I would have to decline as I wouldn’t want any part of their dishonesty, plus I don’t know what kind of legal troubles that may result in. I don’t know what I don’t know, so it’s best not to take that risk. Make sense?  Nothing is so important that you should cheat to get it, and cheaters always get caught. Plus it could come back and bite me in the ass. Yeah I wouldn’t get a free van, but it wasn’t meant to be & again God would provide for me in a different way. I put a lot of faith in God as you have probably gathered.

04.  Returning home from a toy store, you discover that your young child has taken a small toy without paying for it. What do you do?

A:  Since I’m already home, I probably wouldn’t want to go back out. So I would just take it back the next day. I am a very honest person.

05.  A good friend, who is a strict vegetarian, is coming to your home for dinner. You're feeling proud of your vegetable stew, until you realize that you used chicken stock to make it. Do you keep quiet or try to make other arrangements at the last minute?

A:  Well I wouldn’t serve it under the premise that it’s vegetarian; it could potentially make her sick.  What I’d do first is tell her what happened, and let her decide if she still wants to eat it. Because sometimes they “stray”, it just depends. If not, then I would make something suitable for her.

06.  You're in a restaurant when see another customer beginning to choke. You have seen the Heimlich Maneuver demonstrated, but you have never tried it. Would you try to perform the technique?

A:  No I would not for fear of doing it wrong & breaking their ribs in the process.  I can’t have someone’s life in my hands like that, especially without having any experience with the Heimlich. There’d have to be someone in that restaurant who could help.

07.  You're a convict, serving a thirty year sentence. A medical research team is looking for volunteers to take an experimental drug that could have permanent negative side effects. Volunteers, however, will be given an early parole. Do you volunteer?

A:  No, stuff like that is never worth the risk! They can find another guinea pig!

08.  You are the director of the neighborhood food co-op. A member -- a single mother with four young children -- is caught by you, stealing $30 in groceries. You suspect she has been stealing food for years. Do you turn her in?

A:  Yes I would, stealing is not okay no matter who you are.  I was a single mother for many years, and managed to never steal.  There are a million resources out there for all kinds of different things, so there is no excuse for stealing.

09.    You're a college student, and one of your professors has been incompetent all year. You have had him as a professor in the past, and he was talented and dedicated. You suspect he may be having personal problems. When your fellow students draft a petition to have him replaced, do you sign it?

A:  In general, I normally don’t sign petitions because I just don’t have a lot/any faith that they will be very effective.  I would however still want him to be replaced; after all, I am shelling out tons of money for my education. Another option would be to go to the dean & see if they could do anything.

10. Your cat has been lost for three months. You discover that strangers found your beloved pet badly injured in a ditch, and they paid $500 for veterinary care before adopting it. Do you say something or let them keep the cat?

 A:  If it was my own negligence that caused the cat to go missing in the first place, then I would leave the cat with its new owners.  Otherwise I would ask for the cat back, and offer to pay them back for the vet bill. Cats seem like they don’t care where they live, as long as they’re getting fed…so moving the cat back home really shouldn’t affect it.  Now if the cat absolutely refused to go with me, I would make the sacrifice to let it stay at the new home that is taking good care of it.

1 comment: